Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A favorite passage from Margaret George's Helen of Troy

This passage, where Zeus in swan form attacks Clytemnestra and caresses Helen with his beak, gave me chills:
"Stop it," I whispered, my lips almost touching the hard beak.
The beak opened and grasped my cheek. There were little ridges inside it, tiny points, and I could feel them pinching my flesh. He held the skin gently, swaying his head a bit, as if he were caressing - or kissing. Then he let go and pulled back to look at me again. He ruffled his feathers, making them rise up and unseat me, so that I slid off. He stood for a moment, regarding me. Then he arched his neck once more and patted my hair with his head. He then turned and reentered the water, floating serenely away to join his companions.
Pin It

No comments: