Thursday, June 30, 2011

The UnCollege Movement

I was in college a looong time. And now I am having a lot of trouble getting a job in the field I trained in for the better part of a decade. Debates about the value of college are therefore of interest to me. The UnCollege movement was founded by a winner of the Thiel Fellowship, which is intended to reward talented, creative people for not going to college. Check out this article in the Seattle Times about the movement. I also enjoyed this post about it over at Mental Multivitamin, particularly the second comment:
It's funny but the people I know who are most successful in their careers and doing well in this economy have either gone to very elite schools like MIT, top public universities, or have skipped college altogether (or dropped out). I don't think its causal so much as indicative of a personality type. A very bright, motivated, ambitious, entrepreneurial young person just isn't going to be happy in a third tier directional-state school classroom for 4 years and are likely to find alternatives.  
Pin It

No comments: